Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Life in Melbourne

I’m sorry I haven’t been writing very much. The internet in this hostel never works at night and I have been going to work which means I can no longer spend my mornings online.
I’m working full-time at a company called Entertainment Publishers. They produce 18 “entertainment books” (coupon books) for Australia and New Zealand.
I’m enjoying it; the people are nice and the work is simple.
I am working with the production department. In the morning “job bags” come in, which are basically packages with contracts and information about clients wanting to put a coupon in the books. I key into the database that we have received the job, and then hand it off to the proofreaders. When they find a mistake they give it back to me and I make corrections. Today I was correcting spelling mistakes almost entirely from 8:30am to 5:30pm. They keep apologizing to me because they think it’s so horrible that I spend my whole day correcting “road” to “street” but they are paying me $21.74/hr so I love it.

The GM is from Seattle and she seems to like me. I overheard her saying in a budget meeting that she thinks I am “lovely” and also when I told her I was going to work in Melbourne until January she said “you say that now but 6 years from now you will still be working for us”.

I moved into a new room within the hostel. I’m now living with my friend Helen who I met my first day here; she is now working at a bar but trying to find a Christmas casual position in a retail store. Jen, my new Scottish friend; she works at Foster’s (beer) as a personal assistant for 2 execs. Jen and I have similar schedules now so we have been spending a lot of time together. We also live with Mevan; he is an event manager and a permanent resident of Australia but he has a British accent because he grew up in the U.K. Jen has a friend joining us from Scotland this weekend and that will be it for our room. No more randoms!

We have all decided to live here until January. You can rent a room for about the same price as our hostel but then you have to worry about buying household things and internet. We get free breakfast every morning here, dinner on Tuesday and we meet great people. There is a great patio on the roof, so weekends we buy a $10 bottle of wine and drink up there. All the backpackers you meet have great stories about their adventures, and they are open to talking to everyone. It’s way better than being in a bar.

I have been here for 4 weeks now! I can’t believe it. Time flies…

No comments:

Post a Comment