Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

The first day

I left off when I just arrived at the hostel.

I think I checked in around noon, I just put my bags in my room and went for a walk around the block and bought food at the grocery store. I got back to the room, ate, showered, and fell asleep by 2pm and didn't wake up until 7am the next morning. Not a very eventful first day in Australia.

When I woke up Thursday it was the "Big English Breakfast" This is basically: baked beans, bacon, sausage, fruit, toast and cereal.
They have vegemite here. It looks DISGUSTING! like black tar that people spread on toast.

I forgot... My first day I did meet two people. right before I fell asleep a girl walked into my room with a giant slab of chocolate cake. She's from Kent, and told me she just got back from asia the night before and it was her birthday while she was there and they dont have cake. So she sat on my bed eating her cake for a bit. She told me she flew into perth in the middle of the night and it was 2 degrees, it had just been 35 degrees wherever she had been so she caught a cold. She had a nap at the same time as me.

I woke up briefly around 5pm when another girl was moving into my room. Her name is Helen, and she's from liverpool. She arrived in australia the same day as me and is travelling alone. I told her that means we're new bff.

There are 6 beds in our dorm. We have key cards to get in and lockers to store our stuff. The first night it was full and then Thursday morning everyone except Helen and I moved out. So it's officially "our room".

Last night 1 bed was empty and this morning 2 other people left.

Yesterday morning, after breaksfast and talking on skype. I went out to buy a phone. I have a cheap little nokia now, pay as you go. After that I had a coffee, they only have expresso here, no regular coffee. The hostel only has instant coffee, so I've been drinking tea.
Melbourne is full of little cafes. After I ordered my latte I was waiting for it and the guy working there laughed at me and told me that your supposed to sit down and wait for the drink to be brought to you. Which I thought was strange. You don't tip anyone here but they go all out with service.

I had my bank appointment after coffee. Everything went smoothly. I have an account and easily got my money out of my canadian account into the aussie one.

When I got back, Helen was just hanging out in the room and we decided to go get lunch.
There is a free tram that circles the downtown core of melbourne.


This is the tram we took down to the docklands to have lunch by the water.
We had thai food then walk around the shops.


No comments:

Post a Comment